You are not logged in.

#1 Sunday 21st October 2018 06:22:04

dal-ati

reversing into a bay in an empty car park - can't see the lines!

I cannot see the lines of the parking bay in my mirrors AT ALL - so as soon as I begin to steer into the bay I'm reversing into (on the left), I lose sight of the lines and cannot see them for the duration of the manoeuvre, nor at the end! This is only a problem when there are no cars or walls or whatever on either side of the bay, because these can be clearly seen and used as a guide. I am about 5'2" and raising my seat hasn't helped. Adjusting the mirrors so that I can catch a glimpse of the lines during the manoeuvre means they are not in the correct position for normal driving. A blind spot mirror on top of the wing mirror solves the problem... but am I allowed to use this (a couple of quick checks!) on my part 2 test? I'd be very grateful for any advice on this please.

Sunday 21st October 2018 06:22:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: reversing into a bay in an empty car park - can't see the lines!

#2 Sunday 21st October 2018 12:08:33

Triplea35
Verified Member

You can dip your mirrors for the manoeuvres, just try and remember to put them back up!
I  agree lines can be very difficult to see when doing a 90 degree reverse into a bay and without cars acting as 'goalposts' in the bays either side. It is for that reason that I do not teach that method to learners for test. Moving forward turn away from the bay so that you are 45 degrees to the bay and then you will have clear vision over your right shoulder or left door mirror. Even easier turn away from the bay into the 'opposite bay' or whatever space available and reverse straight back.

#3 Wednesday 24th October 2018 07:02:52

richie1966
Verified Member

In my test center the DE tells the pupils to enter the car park and stop in a straight line (ie 90 degrees to the bays) then reverse into a bay. 45 degrees is not allowed!!

#4 Wednesday 24th October 2018 12:02:14

VandADI
Administrator

If you put some "frog eye" mirrors on the top of your door mirrors and drop them down, you will be able to see the lines perfectly as you reverse into the bay!

#5 Wednesday 24th October 2018 14:07:35

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi Richie
DT1 pp37

PARKING IN A BAY IN THE DTC CAR PARK
The size and layout of the car park may restrict the options available to the
candidate. Examiners should allow the candidate to reverse into any bay of their
choice and no attempt should be made by the examiner to determine or dictate
which bay is used or how the candidate carries out the exercise.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100803103820/http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/guidance/dsa_dt1_standard_operating_procedure.pdf
also see wording to be used on test pp 244

Beginning of the test
Would you pull forward either to the left or the right so that your wheels are straight,
then reverse into a convenient parking bay. Finish within one of the bays.

End of the test
I should like you to reverse park in the car park. Drive forward into the car park, then
reverse into a convenient parking bay. Finish within one of the bays.

The examiner/s is bang out of order to prevent the candidate from using a method of their own choice. Contact your Local Driving Test Manager LDTM or your Area Operations Manager AOM

Last edited by pegasus (Wednesday 24th October 2018 14:08:48)

#6 Wednesday 24th October 2018 21:58:54

dal-ati

Thank you so much for the replies  smile I'm taking my test tomorrow and I'm going to attend with the blind spot mirrors that attach to the top of the side mirrors, angled down and out so I can see the lines of the bay as well as out to the sides a little. I hope these will be allowed! I have tried the (left) reverse into a bay without any cars either side from every angle between 90 and 45 degrees and the blind spot mirrors are the ONLY way I can see the lines throughout and at the end of the manoeuvre. (I can see a bit of the line on the offside once in the bay if I lean forwards enough to peer in the mirror, but not on the nearside.)

I don't remember having any problem when I first qualified twenty years ago!!! But I only taught for a few years, and I do remember using the blind spot mirrors for teaching and found them useful for observing my pupils whilst they were reversing.

When it comes to the directions given by the examiner, it's worth noting that not all car parks are the same - the one at the test centre I'll be attending is very small, and space is tight, so I doubt I'll have many options anyway.

Hey ho.... maybe I won't be asked to reverse into a bay after all - I'll update tomorrow if I can still hold my head up high :-)

#7 Thursday 25th October 2018 15:47:40

richie1966
Verified Member

How did you get on today?????

Board footer