You are not logged in.

#1 Friday 8th June 2018 10:31:12

docker1953???

Just had my standards check, fail!!

Hello everyone. So as the title states, just failed. Now I have been an ADI for 27years and full time Fleet Trainer for the last 21 years. All previous Check Tests have been  three grade 6 and two grade 5. During the Standards Check everything was going well. I took my stepfather up with the lesson plan of, reducing risk from the rear and use of mirrors. We then got to a Zebra crossing slowly moving in a traffic queue. Stepfather did not notice a pedestrian start to move at pace from the right hand corner of the crossing without any real warning, onto the crossing itself. I did however see the problem, but my mistake instead of what I would usually say to any normal candidate STOP, because it was my Stepfather I stupidly said his name out loud 3 times and pointed to the pedestrian. Stepfather stopped in time. This all then ended up in the Risk Management part of the form as a total 7, fail. I understand my mistake with what I said at the time, but one section of the Risk Management where I got a 1, states- Was the trainer aware of the surroundings and the pupils actions? Obviously I was aware of this, otherwise I would not have spoken out loud my stepfathers name to make him aware also. How can he mark this a 1?? Harsh marking, or am I wrong? If that had been a 2 instead of a 1, I would have had an easy PASS. It's good to get that off my chest at least. Now have to wait for my next one.

Friday 8th June 2018 10:31:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Just had my standards check, fail!!

#2 Sunday 10th June 2018 14:52:34

docker1953???

Well to anyone who reads this, just paid an expert on the Standards Check for 2 hours training. Going to get this training on Tuesday the 12th of June. Although I certainly regard myself as a very good Fleet trainer, I need to know how to play the Standards Check game!! For the older ADIs, remember when we were insulted by the DSA and had to do the Hazard Perception, as we had been qualified ADIs before that came in. Well I practiced that game via computer disks and passed rather easily. Another game, more practice on how to play it right, making sure I use their words to achieve the same effect. Can you all tell how angry I am yet? mad I really do think that the DSA want Fleet trainers to treat their qualified participants as learners and speak to them accordingly.  Anyone in the fleet industry knows if you do that, you can get their backs up with no real rapport. With no rapport, equals no good response from the person you are training. You should sell it, not tell it. Tell me if I am wrong!  roll

#3 Sunday 10th June 2018 15:18:18

Joe24
Verified Member

For my standards check I got hold of a  standards check marking sheet and made sure I covered everything on it. I didn't stray too far away from the old check test "style" of doing things. 50 out of 51.
I took a test standard pupil who had recently done a mock test and had a few slight issues to iron out.

Must be tempting with a family member to rehearse before hand. I'm not for one minute suggesting you did that but I'm definitely doing things differently with family members I teach. Or should I say it's a bit more relaxed. With normal pupils the standards check is just business as usual.

#4 Monday 11th June 2018 20:44:50

docker1953???

Joe24 wrote:

For my standards check I got hold of a  standards check marking sheet and made sure I covered everything on it. I didn't stray too far away from the old check test "style" of doing things. 50 out of 51.
I took a test standard pupil who had recently done a mock test and had a few slight issues to iron out.

Must be tempting with a family member to rehearse before hand. I'm not for one minute suggesting you did that but I'm definitely doing things differently with family members I teach. Or should I say it's a bit more relaxed. With normal pupils the standards check is just business as usual.

Hi Joe24
I did read the sheet before hand, but I think the SE still wants Fleet Trainers to treat experienced drivers on Standard Check like you would treat a learner. Mistake made, pull them over, have a talk about what they could have done better and off again etc. Maybe I was also a bit too relaxed seeing as though it was my stepfather I took up. Still, some training tomorrow to learn what the SE really wants will be good. I have also been watching some really good Ordit Trainer videos online as well. I know how to do the job well, I just need to know more about what the DVSA now want from a Fleet Trainer, who after over 2 decades doing full time Fleet work for some very good training company's, needs to find out how to play a new game!! As for a bit of rehearsal before hand, I think the SE might spot that straight away. I am thinking about a lesson on hazard awareness and clues to high risk areas next with the old man. Lesson on rural roads, not quite so much for him to deal with me thinks. I am really striving to get that A, as I want to rub it into the face of the same SE, if I end up going to the same test centre again of course.

#5 Wednesday 13th June 2018 16:40:03

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I don't think the DVSA know how to deal with fleet trainers or ADI's who work mainly with drivers beyond the car test. The marking criteria for the standards check is entirely biased to learners and is not fit for purpose. If they wish to insist that the ADI qualification is required to teach in a motor car for monies worth they need to understand that this is a far reaching qualification used by people who may never actually teach a provisional car licence holder. But then the DVSA is not really fit for purpose either.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#6 Friday 22nd June 2018 14:21:48

docker1953???

reddragonbus wrote:

I don't think the DVSA know how to deal with fleet trainers or ADI's who work mainly with drivers beyond the car test. The marking criteria for the standards check is entirely biased to learners and is not fit for purpose. If they wish to insist that the ADI qualification is required to teach in a motor car for monies worth they need to understand that this is a far reaching qualification used by people who may never actually teach a provisional car licence holder. But then the DVSA is not really fit for purpose either.

Sorry but I have been away for a while otherwise I would have answered your post earlier. Yes reddragonbus, I thoroughly completely honestly 100% agree. Still onwards and upwards.

Board footer