You are not logged in.

#1 Saturday 16th June 2018 12:45:48

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

King hit!

King hit

Yesterday I walked along between rows of shops in a large mall, keeping to the left and looking slightly down as I tend to do when deep in thought.
I felt a hard blow to my head and staggered backwards, I thought I'd walked into a wall or column.

I didn't have time to consider that I would've had to be running to feel that sort of impact - I suddenly felt myself propelled very quickly forwards.
Staggering out of control I entered an open-front jewelry shop and fell face down hard onto the carpet (lucky I didn't hit a wall, and lucky I fell on a carpet).
I lay there half stunned but was alert enough to feel embarrassed (I thought I'd distractedly walked into something solid without seeing it).

Kind men helped me to my feet and the jewelry shop lady rang for security, others came running to assist.
It was then I was told I'd been "king hit" (a cowardly unprovoked surprise punch - I think it's an Australian term?) and then shoved forward very hard.
A man had been walking along taking swings at everyone who passed by, other shoppers managed to get out of his way and apparently security didn't notice him, but I walked straight into it.

Today I noticed the bruise on the side of my jaw under my beard, which solved the mystery of why I haven't a broken nose or bruised cheeks from a face-on blow.
I have sprained wrists from the fall and a bruised knee, my ankles are sore too.
My left shoulder hurts a lot and my left arm is very stiff to move (both of my arms are loose in their shoulder sockets and I must always be careful to not dislocate them).

I don't know whether he was caught or not and yep I hurt a bit - but what also hurt was the nice jewelry shop lady ringing security saying an elderly man had been attacked!
I'm only 68 (nearly 69) and this is the first time I've seriously considered myself to be elderly.

I think we elderly (there's that word again) people should fight against this sort of verbal abuse ...
... should we trip verbal abusers up with our walking frames, or run them down on our mobility scooters, or bonk them over the heads with our bottles of Geritol(TM), or waddle up to them with an arm extended, holding our false teeth, and bite them on their kneecap?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Saturday 16th June 2018 12:45:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: King hit!

#2 Saturday 16th June 2018 14:42:01

Triplea35
Verified Member

Thats horrific John, hope you recover soon.

That was a physical assault of the worst kind, ensure that it is reported to the Police and investigated. There will likely be similar reports, descriptions and possible CCTV evidence.

#3 Sunday 17th June 2018 22:46:23

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the kind words.
I was too dazed for a while to think about reporting it, I never saw the assailant and he had quickly disappeared.
I didn't speak to security but they'd been been alerted by others and there is plenty of CCTV in the mall.
Now that the bruise has gone down a little I see that I was hit on the side of the head just above the jawline, which is why I escaped a broken/dislocated jaw.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#4 Monday 18th June 2018 07:45:29

VandADI
Administrator

What an awful thing to happen Zipper, I do hope you recover physically and mentally. 
In the UK this type of punch is called the "killer one punch" as all it takes is one punch to fracture the skull with the potential of loss of life.
My son was a victim of this type of punch several years ago which left him in a coma after a fractured skull. The punch was so damaging it has now left him with a severed auditory nerve which means he will never regain the hearing from one of his ears. Fortunately he did not sustain any brain injury so there is that to be thankful for.

Board footer