You are not logged in.

#1 Tuesday 27th March 2018 12:57:51

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

The Australian test cricket team

Front page news here in the NT and all over Australia is the disgraceful behaviour of the Australian cricket team.
Yesterday's NT News full-page photo showed an Aussie player stuffing something down the front of his pants, the headline read: "I'M PUTTING SOMETHING ST*CKY NEXT TO MY D*CKY".
(I don't know who the player was because I haven't bothered with the Australian test team for years now).
Apparently, it was some sort of sticky tape he’d applied to the ball on orders from his captain.
A lot of letters-to-the-editor followed, nearly all of them condemning the team and a few pointing out the player in the photo might have got his balls mixed up.
The story continued in today’s NT News taking up two full pages; the editorial rightly pointed out the team is no longer a role model for young cricketers (or young sports persons for that matter).

Their actions have proven my point, and a national journalist is in a like frame of mind describing our team as “ugly winners”.
Australians are understandably outraged by the blatant cheating but I'm secretly pleased.
Why am I secretly pleased? - because for years now I've been telling fellow Australians that I have never liked the Australian team because of their unsportsmanlike attitude – their insufferable arrogance and especially the sledging which they seemed to do more than any other team while defending themselves by saying it’s part of the game – and pleased because their disgraceful attitude been finally been brought out into the open for scrutiny and discussion.

Cricket Australia is under fire for their slow response and seeming unwillingness to react appropriately.
The Wikipedia article on Cricket Australia says: ”In 24th August in the latest ICC meeting it is revealed, Cricket Australia stands third in the world’s richest cricket board list with a net worth of $99 Million …”.
And that’s what professional sport is all about –American style greed for money is greater than sportsmanship.
I remember John McEnroe the obnoxious American tennis star – ever since those days I have not bothered to follow tennis.

A couple of years ago I gave a driving lesson to a young man who told me he might only be able to do one more lesson as he had to go interstate soon to be prepared as a professional tennis player.
He booked a 2nd lesson abut didn’t show up for it without notifying me, and I was not able to contact him ever since.
I’ve lost his contact details but I’m pretty sure his name was Kyrgios.
A rising Australia tennis star is Nick Kyrgios who even John McEnroe has criticised for unsporting conduct.

If you would like to respond to this post, you won't offend me if you criticise the team & management.

Last edited by Zipper (Tuesday 27th March 2018 13:01:22)

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Tuesday 27th March 2018 12:57:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: The Australian test cricket team

#2 Tuesday 27th March 2018 16:09:43

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Surely the anger being expressed is because they broke the eleventh commandment.
"Thou shalt not get found out".

I have heard interviews with Australian athletes stating that the second placed person in a race is the first loser.

#3 Tuesday 3rd April 2018 23:14:12

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

The NT newspaper has reported that the 3 temporarily banned cricketers are allowed to come here to Darwin to play cricket in our local competition; apparently Cricket Australia thinks that because we are far north of the rest of the country and play cricket off-season, it won't be noticed.
A letter-to-the-editor in sid "

Cricket Australia has received as much flak as the players and rightly so it seems - they were slow to react to the scandal and some think they wouldn't have acted at all if there wasn't a public outcry.
And they are now protecting the players by giving only a temporary ban - I think it should be permanent (the players would be already wealthy).
We are going too far in the same direction as the United States - money is everything.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer