You are not logged in.

#1 Monday 12th February 2018 13:13:04

PA23apache

PULL UP ON RIGHT

What do people think of this exercise?  Previously during lessons, pointing out drivers inconveniencing us or others (eg by pulling up heading for us, or pulling out blindly) would be a regular occurrence.  That was all I believed was needed to illustrate that whilst many do it, generally it's not a considerate or risk free exercise.  So I advised learners to learn from what they had seen and remember post test that it's not a sensible thing.  Now liveried learner cars are doing crazy thing.  I've seen them near right hand bends so very limited view of oncoming traffic and said traffic will be taken by surprise when the learner pulls away.  I've seen them stopped where there are zero properties, or entries, or any reason to be there, but with ample parking on the left so they are doing it purely as an exercise that will teach nothing useful.  DVSA say they are not condoning parking on the right.  But how do we encourage learners to follow the "don't park against traffic flow" rule and all the other Highway Code rules when by teaching them to ignore one rule we are normalising the attitude that a rule can be ignored if you feel like it.

Monday 12th February 2018 13:13:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: PULL UP ON RIGHT

#2 Monday 12th February 2018 14:22:01

Pjc

I too have seen learners cars doing some pretty strange things whilst involved in the practise of this exercise, but that says more about the instructors than the exercise. If done properly this manoeuvre is perfectly safe.

It may be preferable to stop on the left but there are times when it is only practical to stop on the right and against the flow of the traffic.

Traditionally it has been considered unwise to stop on the right but times change and the rules that govern driving also change over time. I suspect we may see a revision to rule 239 in due course.

Stopping on the right is not illegal and I think the time is right to start making sure people know how to complete this manoeuvre in a safe and responsible fashion. It would appear from our observations there are instructors out there who have not yet perfected their own safe and responsible methods.

Last edited by Pjc (Monday 12th February 2018 14:58:45)

#3 Monday 12th February 2018 18:55:08

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
I have seen a report of an examiner doing it just before a RH bend, and a friend saw an instructor teaching it at night, next to a bus stop sign, leaving the headlights on, and  waiting for approaching traffic from both directions with left indicators on while preparing to move off.

#4 Monday 12th February 2018 22:43:52

Mentor
Verified Member

Surely the pupil is responsible for choosing a safe place to pull up on the right just the same as they are on the left. I have no issue with this new manoeuvre at all and so far no pupil has even picked up a driving fault for it. I would not practice it in the dark however as it is inconvenient for oncoming traffic to have headlights in their face.

#5 Thursday 15th February 2018 09:16:55

richie1966
Verified Member

Conducting this exercise at night is not a problem as long as the pupil is informed before that the headlights MUST be switched to sidelights as soon as it is safe to do so and remain on sidelights until they have successfully rejoined the flow of traffic. Pointing out to them other drivers who have parked facing the flow of traffic with headlights still on will enforce the reason why we/they should utilise side lights throughout the manoeuvre.

Board footer