You are not logged in.

#1 Tuesday 30th January 2018 19:29:15

VandADI
Administrator

In Car Card Payment system

Can anyone recommend a reasonable rate card payment system to take payments for lessons?

Tuesday 30th January 2018 19:29:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: In Car Card Payment system

#2 Tuesday 30th January 2018 20:11:35

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
On-line BACS is free.

#3 Tuesday 30th January 2018 23:25:33

Pjc

I use Paypal with a card reader that connects to my smart phone. The commission charge is 2.75% which I believe is reasonable for the volume of card transactions I have and there is no difference in the commission depending on the type of card used. Most banks charge more for credit cards than for the debit variety.

I find that customers like having the facility and whilst it is a cost I would prefer not to pay I am forced to recognise that in my area there are no banks in my immediate area and I have to travel to reach a bank and as banking hours coincide with my working hours there is a cost incurred in taking cash to the bank.

I used to allow some clients to pay by internet transfer but even the most reliable sometimes forget to make payment. I found that most weeks I had to spend some of the little free time I had chasing clients who had forgotten to pay.

I have been using 'Paypal Here' for about 2 years and I have no regrets. Before that I used a similar system provided by a company called 'Intuit'. For my purposes they were hopeless, payments would not reach my account until a few days after the lesson and their records didn't tell me who had made the payment. It was a bookkeeping nightmare.

It should be mentioned that you have access to the money immediately after the payment is made. If you rely on cash flow that is a real bonus.

We are increasingly moving into an era where cash is being used less often and people want to pay by card. I tend to charge a little more than most other instructors in my area but I like to think the service I provide is worth the extra. All the same, there is also some anecdotal evidence to suggest that some people are willing to pay higher prices for the convenience of card payments.

#4 Thursday 1st February 2018 22:55:45

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

Pjc wrote:

I used to allow some clients to pay by internet transfer but even the most reliable sometimes forget to make payment. I found that most weeks I had to spend some of the little free time I had chasing clients who had forgotten to pay.

Mine used to do it on their mobile while in the car.

#5 Saturday 3rd February 2018 00:07:00

Mentor
Verified Member

I don't seem to have any problem getting cash from my pupils at the start of the lesson. Occasionally, I will have to stop at a cash machine and about 5% of clients pay by bank transfer. I am amazed that pay by mobile phone has never taken off and I have only had one payment by that method in two years. I am too tight to pay a credit card company a commission but I do believe as has been said above that paypal is one of the best available.

Board footer