You are not logged in.

#1 Sunday 17th December 2017 12:37:29

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Giving a driving test

I've been giving driving tests for a while now, but it seems I've been doing it all wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E9lByK3yQw

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Sunday 17th December 2017 12:37:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Giving a driving test

#2 Sunday 17th December 2017 13:18:47

Pjc

It is said that 'truth is stranger than fiction' and I'm inclined to agree. Consider these anomalies if you will:

The UK minimum driving standard for eye sight is so poor that you need to be almost registered blind to fail it.

For years people were required to produce a licence counterpart at the beginning of a driving test and if one wasn't available the candidate was sent home without a test. The government abolished the said counterpart and it transpires it wasn’t really needed for driving tests after all.

The same applied to the rule about tax discs on the windscreens of test vehicles.

At the beginning of every UK driving test the candidate is required to sign a declaration that the car is covered by a valid policy of insurance. The only candidates that know if the test car is insured or not are the 1% who take a test in their own vehicle. The DSA and the examiners know full well that most candidates are themselves taking it on trust that the vehicle they are driving is insured.

I would never sit in the passenger seat of a car driven by a learner driver unless I have the benefit of dual controls or I have personal knowledge that they can drive with reasonable safely. Yet driving examiners do so frequently.

I'm not at all sure who is running the asylum and whilst the parachute might be a step too far I am coming around to the idea of a crash helmet and a first aid kit the size of a suitcase.

Last edited by Pjc (Sunday 17th December 2017 13:21:01)

#3 Sunday 17th December 2017 23:13:12

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I never test anyone unless they have had at least one driving lesson -  I miss out on some work butI have this policy because ...
... there's a greater chance of survival when when testing someone in their own car without duals (down here the number of tests in private vehicles is more like 30%), and
... even a "good" driver could fail if they don't do certain things (e.g. shoulder check before pulling over even if close enough to the kerb that even a frog can't be hidden in the blind spot).

Today I have a lesson with a young man with no previous lessons who wants to see if he's ready for his test - last evening he asked me to skip the lesson and give him his test instead.
I refused and thankfully he agreed to do the lesson.
After the lesson I'm ineligible to test him but I help them arrange a test with another instructor, one whom I trust to give a reasonable test.

We have a phone app available to allow us to check if a vehicle is registered or not, but the NT won't allow tests until the candidate has had their Learner's Licence continually for at least 6 months.
With only an expiry date on their plastic licence card we cannot tell if they have lost it in a law court at at any point, or if they have had their licence transferred from interstate* without a break.
Yesterday was Sunday and the government offices were closed - I tested a young lady who's expiry date wshowed she's only had her NT licence for 3 months but had a licence in Victoria for over a year - after much indecision I tested her even though I couldn't ring the MVR to confirm her licence status.
If you see an international news article about an Northern Territory ADI being shot at the stake for testing an invalid candidate, that will be me!

We've never had a "counterpart system" - all MVR offices have a plastic card printer and people only have to wait a few minutes before getting their full photo ID on the spot.
I will be asking the NT Transport Minister to see if the software can't print the ISSUE date on the card - a simple programming task surely.

* Each Australian State & Territory has it's own licence and different rules for learners e.g. max speed allowed, how much experience before testing etc. A stupid system!

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

#4 Tuesday 19th December 2017 11:18:57

Pjc

Hi Zipper

Instructors testing learners, thats an interesting concept. Has anyone ever considered there might be a risk of corruption in this arrangement?

#5 Wednesday 20th December 2017 12:30:22

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Yes Pjc it was certainly considered, but this is the Northern Territory - the Americans would describe us as a "gimcrack outfit" ... showy on the surface but revealing incompetence & corruption when scratched. And you don't have to scratch hard!
The NT is a true frontier territory albeit a modern one, a large portion of the population live here to get away from the "nanny states" with their rules & regulations, and a large number of our ADIs are under-trained and unethical.
More than one ADI has proudly announced they were moving interstate to make a fortune only to return later with their tail between their legs when the auithorities in the other state realised how bad they were.

When instructor testing was introduced the arrogant ultra-conservative Northern Territory Government of the period determined that out-sourcing is the panacea to all things; they implemented it without consultation or regard to the possible consequences of their actions*.
The current CM (Chief Minister) waited for the then CM to go overseas before staging a successful coup - the CM stepped off the plane after his trade trip to Japan to be told he was ousted and relegated to the back-benches before he even entered the airport terminus.
Later the new CM barely survived a secret back-room coup and complained bitterly to the press about "back-stabbing colleagues".
My deep and utter contempt for Australian politicians at all three levels (federal, state/territory and shire) could not sink lower without entering the gates of Hell.

I have tested students (mostly my own) under two previous systems and my colleague Connie & I tried to do things properly but lost out clients to the unethical ADIs.
Both systems were eventually scrapped when the NT Motor Vehicle Registry (equivalent of your DVSA) - themselves incompetent and with a streak of corruption - hastily scrapped the systems.

Under the current system, ADIs have taken over from the MVR testers.
Back-seat auditing of tests was a failure so now we have mandatory camera surveillance (forward view, cabin view, cabin conversations and GPS location tracking).
It was well known that certain overseas instructors were "selling licences" (yes, selling licences) to their countrymen by filling out test sheets marked PASS, for a sum of money of course.
If an auditor turned up to sit in the back seat they would go out on the test, and the candidate would fail of course.
Connie & I often received calls from immigrants wanting to buy their licence "like their friends did".
One of them left the Territory as soon as cameras were made mandatory, the others have knuckled down but are still incompetent (Connie & I often get their badly-taught students).

I am making up a sort of blog/opinion-piece to put on my website, I hope to finish and upload it before the new year. I'll post the link when I finish it.

*The NT Government's arrogance and lack of consultation resulted in them being decimated at the last election and forming an opposition of only two sitting members. They are vastly outnumbered by independents. The current left-wing government is a minority and are also arrogant fools who intend to waste 50 million dollars on a third museum despite the general recession and the public outcry, so I think it's time for me to retire and live in South Australia.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer