You are not logged in.

#1 Monday 30th October 2017 21:19:20

paul169
Member
Registered: Saturday 21st October 2017
Posts: 8

Two signs on a post

Hi,

Can I get advice on this please - if a sign post has 2 warning signs one above the other - is it always a given that the hazard on top comes before the second hazard  in the triangle below?
Thanks

Offline

Monday 30th October 2017 21:19:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Two signs on a post



#2 Monday 30th October 2017 22:03:48

Pjc
Verified Member
Registered: Wednesday 19th July 2017
Posts: 19

Re: Two signs on a post

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 will contain the answer if what your suggesting is true.

I have never seen such a rule and don't believe it exists but then it might be worth a search.

Happy hunting.

Offline

#3 Tuesday 31st October 2017 00:41:09

pegasus
Verified Member
From: north west
Registered: Friday 25th February 2005
Posts: 3,320

Re: Two signs on a post

Hi
In the Traffic Signs Manual.

http://tsrgd.co.uk/pdf/tsm/tsm-chapter-04.pdf

1.29 Where two or more warning signs are
erected together, the sign relating to the hazard first
encountered should be placed uppermost. When a
new sign is added to an existing post, it is important
to ensure that the correct order is maintained, if
necessary adjusting the position of the existing signs.

I have often wondered why this order was decreed, after all individual warning signs are read from  bottom to top. ie a sign showing a T junction you are approaching up the sign towards the cross bar.  So surely it would be logical to read the bottom sign and then the top one.

Last edited by pegasus (Tuesday 31st October 2017 00:41:43)

Online

#4 Tuesday 31st October 2017 17:08:34

paul169
Member
Registered: Saturday 21st October 2017
Posts: 8

Re: Two signs on a post

Thanks very much for the reply! Makes sense I guess.

Offline

#5 Tuesday 31st October 2017 23:00:48

Zipper
Verified Member
From: Darwin, Northern Territory Aus
Registered: Friday 20th August 2004
Posts: 2,711
Website

Re: Two signs on a post

Perhaps drivers automatically read the topmost sign first, because we read writing from the top down.
I think too that the convention of "from bottom up" on signs &arrow lights (do you have arrow-shaped traffic lights in the UK?) is from laying the graphic down flat in front of you, and "ahead" points forward.
Just my thoughts.


Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Offline

#6 Wednesday 1st November 2017 16:09:51

pegasus
Verified Member
From: north west
Registered: Friday 25th February 2005
Posts: 3,320

Re: Two signs on a post

Hi
I see you reasoning Zippy, and if they were signs with words I would agree, but to use your analogy of laying the graphic flat in front of you, ie  painting say  a RH bend and a T junction on the road in front of you, which would  come first?

There is an area near me where they do paint signs on the road, but I haven't yet found 2 of them close together.
https://goo.gl/maps/Gv38bWshyM32

Online

#7 Friday 3rd November 2017 22:35:14

kaf
Verified Member
From: Wiltshire
Registered: Sunday 5th August 2007
Posts: 3,330
Website

Re: Two signs on a post

We have one locally, I always ask my students that question.
90% Get It right, the other 10% read it from bottom up.

My feeling is that those  people mentally ‘flatten’ the sign, which mean that they then read it in direction of travel, bottom up.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB.