You are not logged in.

#1 Friday 16th March 2018 00:20:35

chris301up

Returning to instruction

Right. This may seem like a silly question but here goes anyway. I have been out of the driving instruction industry for a while but am thinking of returning to it now that my ADI licence is due for renewal. What I really need to know is what do I need to teach for the new exercises recently introduced into the test.

I understand they are now making use of a SatNav, a device I have never owned, but will obviously have to purchase one. I just really need to now the full details of the parking on the right exercise? As I rarely park on the right, with the exception of reverse parking on the right, I would really like to know the full details of what to teach.

I have been in touch with the DVSA but all they have sent me is a booklet which is of little, or no use whatsoever.

Can anyone help or advise please?

Last edited by chris301up (Friday 16th March 2018 09:06:44)

Friday 16th March 2018 00:20:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Returning to instruction

#2 Friday 16th March 2018 07:44:52

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
From the DT1:-

1.35: The pull up on the right exercise
This manoeuvre should be carried out during routine driving, on a general main road which would normally carry light to medium traffic flow, therefore it is not necessary to deviate from the test route, into a side road or housing estate. It is not always necessary for the candidate to encounter traffic whilst completing this manoeuvre however carrying this out on busy roads or busy times of day, should be avoided due to the excessive length of time it would take to complete the exercise. The chosen road should allow the candidate plenty of opportunity to pull up on the right on a straight section of road with clear visibility well ahead and behind.

Whilst driving on a suitable road, and at a safe location, the candidate should be asked to pull up on the right when it is safe to do so. Once stationary, the candidate should then be asked to reverse for two car lengths before being asked to drive on again. If the candidates begins to select a location which is not suitable, then the exercise should be aborted before moving across to the right and attempted later in the test.

The candidate should show proper care for the safety of other road users while pulling across to the right, reversing and moving off.

Should the candidate ask the examiner to assist when reversing or moving off to re-join their side of the road, they should be informed that the purpose of the test is to prove their competence to drive it without the help of a supervisor, and that they should carry out the exercise as if they were unaccompanied.

The examiner must not get out of the vehicle to direct or assist the candidate.

If a vehicle pulls in front of the candidate prior to the completion of the exercise, the examiner should take control of the situation and advise the candidate to reverse back further to allow a clear view ahead. If a vehicle blocks the candidate from reversing, the manoeuvre should be aborted and a manoeuvre attempted later in the test. If this situation causes the candidates view to be severely restricted then the examiner should offer some assistance.

The manoeuvre ends once the candidate has stopped reversing and selected neutral.

#3 Friday 16th March 2018 09:15:39

chris301up

Thank you for that information

I think I understand what is required. Is there any lesson plans available detailing this? Is this taught on the ADI part 3 test?

I will say however, of all the years I have been driving, I am struggling to recall when I have ever had to use this manoeuvre.

What use is this I ask myself?

#4 Friday 16th March 2018 12:51:37

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Don't know about lesson plans, I used to teach manoeuvres different ways to different pupils depending on their learning styles.

I do agree "What use is this" when referring to parking on the right. Instructors should not be asked to teach what is basically a bad practice.

#5 Friday 16th March 2018 18:55:51

Triplea35
Verified Member

Have a look on You Tube (pull up on the right) quite a few useful tutorials on there to help formulate a lesson plan.

Last edited by Triplea35 (Friday 16th March 2018 18:59:42)

#6 Saturday 17th March 2018 18:45:53

Pjc
Verified Member

My advice is to introduce this exercise in the same way as you would turning right into a side road and crossing approaching traffic. The safety implications are identical.
In the initial stages I would suggest a place to stop on the left. If you don't the pupil will just continue driving ahead because he/she will not be able to decide quickly enough if a place is safe or not.

When that can be completed without danger, ask them to find their own safe place to stop on the right.

Unlike many other ADI's, I think this is a really useful training exercise in terms of generating greater overall awareness. The Highway Code has evolved over the years and will continue to do so. The last major revision was more than ten years ago and wouldn't be at all surprised to see it updated in this regard. I don't think it matters if learners choose to use the method in the future, the fact is they will be able to if they want to. I occasionally stop on the right side of the road when I visit the local convenience store from the wrong direction and as parking is always limited it is an extremely useful and convenient method.

#7 Monday 19th March 2018 09:47:58

chris301up

Hi everyone. Thank you all for your advice

After giving this matter some considerable thought I don't think I will bother to re-new my ADI licence. I don't really believe the new manoeuvres and using a SatNat is in the best interest of the learner. The test, as it was, was more than adequate and, in my humble opinion, the only thing that perhaps needed to be re-introduced is the Highway Code questions at the end of the test. Most of you will be well aware that pupils will pass the theory and then generally forget it. It's the way the world is these days. If the H/C questions were still part of the test, at least they will be aware that they could still fail, and at least continue reading and implementing it during their lessons.

Lessons, including turn in the round and all reversing exercises, are more than adequate and are used more frequently than pulling up on the right. What a complete and utter waste of time! I don't like the idea of using SatNavs on test as they are totally unreliable and do not give correct information and instructions. Using 'Show Me - Tell Me' on the move? Well, another distraction the test candidate shouldn't be subject to.

Best of luck to all of you that have to teach this.

I think you may need it

Last edited by chris301up (Monday 19th March 2018 09:48:56)

#8 Monday 19th March 2018 23:28:22

Joe24
Verified Member

New test is going fine. I've not had one fail it yet.  (6 tests)

Some people struggle with change. (Usually the older end)

Sat Navs I've used are far from "totally unreliable" and have got me to many a destination with little trouble. My learners are using it fine. 

The TIR and left reverse are still being taught. Nobody has said you can't teach them. They are just no longer part of the test.

Poor do if a pupil can't operate a simple control while the cars moving!!! They should be asked more on the move questions in my opinion.

Last edited by Joe24 (Monday 19th March 2018 23:29:45)

#9 Tuesday 20th March 2018 15:13:21

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I agree with Joe24 about ability to use controls on the move - I teach learners to glance quickly at a control as they reach for it but to practice using it while looking outside the vehicle.
Today I gave a test to a very nervous woman; as we drove out of the carpark driveway in her instructor's car the sat nav displayed a red border and said loudly in a sharp tone: "YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY! TURN BACK!".
One confused sat nav (possibly caused by poor position accuracy, it thought it was on a nearby road).
It didn't help her nerves.

When we approached the 1st set of lights she did a needed lane change but for some reason had trouble cancelling the signal (??!!).
While staring in confusion at the indicator stalk - I think it was on a different side than on her family car - she ignored the lights and I had to dual brake her for an amber & red.
A classic example of not being able to operate a control on the move, I'm glad we didn't need the wipers or washers or horn.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#10 Tuesday 20th March 2018 17:03:10

chris301up

My point exactly.

Shouldn't be any distractions of any sort in the vehicle when driving.

I rest my case

Board footer