You are not logged in.

#1 Friday 27th September 2013 18:30:10

(ROG)
Verified Member
From: LEICESTER
Registered: Monday 23rd August 2010
Posts: 1,551

Definitive reply from DVLA on B licence towing

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/BLICENCETOWINGLAW001-2.jpg


IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Offline

Friday 27th September 2013 18:30:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Definitive reply from DVLA on B licence towing



#2 Friday 27th September 2013 23:12:03

pegasus
Verified Member
From: north west
Registered: Friday 25th February 2005
Posts: 3,320

Re: Definitive reply from DVLA on B licence towing

Hi
The sentence in the 3rd para " If either of these weights are exceeded it is possible that a Court may take the view that this constitutes a danger" is hardly definitive!

That is all if's, but's and maybe's

Last edited by pegasus (Friday 27th September 2013 23:13:03)

Offline

#3 Saturday 28th September 2013 07:18:28

reddragonbus
Verified Member
From: Edinburgh
Registered: Sunday 5th February 2006
Posts: 1,666

Re: Definitive reply from DVLA on B licence towing

As usual the DVLA make it up as they go along.


LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Offline

#4 Saturday 28th September 2013 09:43:17

(ROG)
Verified Member
From: LEICESTER
Registered: Monday 23rd August 2010
Posts: 1,551

Re: Definitive reply from DVLA on B licence towing

pegasus wrote:

Hi
The sentence in the 3rd para " If either of these weights are exceeded it is possible that a Court may take the view that this constitutes a danger" is hardly definitive!

That is all if's, but's and maybe's

No its not because it is referring to the manufacturers max towing capacity which if exceeded would require a court to determine whether that was unsafe or not
there is no law which states that exceeding that limit is unlawful

Last edited by (ROG) (Saturday 28th September 2013 09:43:48)


IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Offline

#5 Saturday 28th September 2013 11:26:44

trunkmonkey
Member
Registered: Thursday 5th March 2009
Posts: 754

Re: Definitive reply from DVLA on B licence towing

What is the offence that gets the person before the Court for them to make a decision?

Offline

#6 Saturday 28th September 2013 12:50:33

Daveyboy
Verified Member
From: Nr Alford, Lincolnshire
Registered: Sunday 25th January 2009
Posts: 377

Re: Definitive reply from DVLA on B licence towing

DLVA can only give opinions, the courts have to decide the law.

Offline

#7 Saturday 28th September 2013 13:34:18

(ROG)
Verified Member
From: LEICESTER
Registered: Monday 23rd August 2010
Posts: 1,551

Re: Definitive reply from DVLA on B licence towing

trunkmonkey wrote:

What is the offence that gets the person before the Court for them to make a decision?

unsafe combination under C&U regs 100 I think


IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Offline

#8 Saturday 5th October 2013 13:54:58

trunkmonkey
Member
Registered: Thursday 5th March 2009
Posts: 754

Re: Definitive reply from DVLA on B licence towing

(ROG) wrote:
pegasus wrote:

Hi
The sentence in the 3rd para " If either of these weights are exceeded it is possible that a Court may take the view that this constitutes a danger" is hardly definitive!

That is all if's, but's and maybe's

No its not because it is referring to the manufacturers max towing capacity which if exceeded would require a court to determine whether that was unsafe or not
there is no law which states that exceeding that limit is unlawful

This was why I asked the last question.
There are offences for exceeding axle weights,gross weights and train weight under the Road Traffic Act. They are Fixed Penalty offences, not carrying an endorsement.

Additionally, if that overloading constitutes a danger there is an additional offence under Reg. 100 and that carries a heavier penalty of 3 points.

Offline

#9 Saturday 5th October 2013 17:35:49

(ROG)
Verified Member
From: LEICESTER
Registered: Monday 23rd August 2010
Posts: 1,551

Re: Definitive reply from DVLA on B licence towing

I re-read it and yes, they have cocked up - there are fixed penalties for exceeding any plated weight  - the towing capacity is the one where the court would need to decide


IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB.