You are not logged in.

#1 Saturday 8th September 2012 16:58:51

DrivingInstructors.co.uk
Website

Why you should have a dash camera

Just want some feedback, ref Dash Camera's.  Basically incar CCTV..

With modern technology its possible to install a dash camera, to record the driving view of the road ahead.  Road users like HGV and bus companies are using this technology more, especially as many have been victims of bogus insurance claims.

With ADI vehicles becoming the target for impatient drivers, what are your thoughts of using such technology.

There are availble pretty cheap - Amazon

Ebay

Whats your thoughts?

UK ADI - Driving Instructor Directory http://www.drivinginstructors.co.uk Are you listed?  if not why not as its free

Saturday 8th September 2012 16:58:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Why you should have a dash camera

#2 Saturday 8th September 2012 17:21:15

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

Wouldn't be without one and it has paid off twice this year and previously when a bus driver tried to force my pupil into on coming traffic I was able to make a complaint to the bus company backed up with video evidence and he was dealt wth. They are so cheap now I was talking to an ADI at the test centre and I commented all ADIs should have one for their own protection.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#3 Saturday 8th September 2012 17:51:14

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I keep saying I'll get round to installing one...

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#4 Saturday 8th September 2012 19:22:13

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

The only downside is having to remove them for test.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#5 Saturday 8th September 2012 19:28:24

mdf0075

Why cant you record the test?

hoylake wrote:

part 1 - 98/54
part 1 - 98/62
part 2 - 4 minors
part 3 - pst2 5-5
check test -?

#6 Saturday 8th September 2012 19:43:12

la.monikita
Verified Member

I would never be without one.  Dismissed a traffic warden after receiving abuse. Have a documentary film from another incident, as well as countless examples of bad behaviour that I can use for training.  It makes me feel safer in the knowledge if people will do us wrong we'll be able to prove it.  smile On tests I pull the plug out.

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#7 Saturday 8th September 2012 21:22:27

roadhog
Verified Member

The only recordings, visual and/or video allowed, on Test are those sanctioned by the DSA.
The DSA don't / won't give permission for a common or garden Test I'm afraid.
(there's some official DSA bumff somewhere that says so)

roadhog

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

#8 Saturday 8th September 2012 21:36:36

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
According to this thread there is at least one instructor on here who records tests.

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/vi … p?id=43569

#9 Saturday 8th September 2012 21:43:17

MAZ
Verified Member

Wished I had had one of these a few days ago, as we were driving along a 30mph stretch of road in a town, a car pulled out of a side road on our left to turn right directly accross the front of us, causing us to brake hard, he did not see us as his right hand which was holding a phone to his right ear, had blocked us from his view, as he was half way out he spotted us and kindly raised three of the fingers that were holding the phone in a gesture to say "sorry" and continued his convbersation as he carried on driving. What a great training clip this would have made.

Maz.

#10 Saturday 8th September 2012 21:45:09

MAZ
Verified Member

pegasus wrote:

Hi
According to this thread there is at least one instructor on here who records tests.

This link did not work for me, it just says, "bad request".

Maz.

#11 Sunday 9th September 2012 05:10:18

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

MAZ wrote:
pegasus wrote:

Hi

This link did not work for me, it just says, "bad request".

Maz.

It works OK for me but you can also find it here:

PRIVATE ADI/PDI forum
? Are there more test being failed this year.

Started by Evan on 18/07/2012

#12 Sunday 9th September 2012 07:01:47

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

mdf0075 wrote:

Why cant you record the test?

hoylake wrote:

Hi Mdf

It certainly must be switched off for test. At my TC just one of the DSA workforce (my new name) for those godlike assessors of my candidate's driving, insists that it effects his forward vision and it must be removed. I'm sure it doesnt and he is just letting me who is boss, excerting his authority.

On occasions, I've forgotten to switch them off. So from the back seat I've pulled out the lead from the cigar lighter just as the DSA worker was giving his pre-brief. Having swithed it off I was not asked to remove it, different DSA worker. On a separate occasion I left the second rear camera on. The DSA worker on returning to the TC ( I did not sit in) asked me what was the chirping sound that had occurred several times. I explained, he didn't seem overly worried, because it was only the rear facing camera.

Last edited by hoylake (Sunday 9th September 2012 07:14:09)

#13 Sunday 9th September 2012 07:38:54

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I've got a camera in the rear window and it's running all the time.  Either the examiners haven't noticed it (observations)  or they aren't bothered because it looks out of the back. 

It's a simple camera which records onto a sd card.

#14 Sunday 9th September 2012 12:37:59

DrivingInstructors.co.uk
Website

Yep, I would want just the camera only, I'm not after one fitted with a screen so they should be quite small.  Can't find a suitable one yet but still looking

UK ADI - Driving Instructor Directory http://www.drivinginstructors.co.uk Are you listed?  if not why not as its free

#15 Sunday 9th September 2012 14:02:53

MAZ
Verified Member

fishie wrote:
DrivingInstructors.co.uk wrote:

Yep, I would want just the camera only, I'm not after one fitted with a screen so they should be quite small.  Can't find a suitable one yet but still looking

Sorry i did not realise you were a driving instructor i just thought you were a scam merchant.

Is that really necessary fishie, roll the guy has started an interesting thread, in fact an interesting point is how many members are already using such devices and have been for some time. I am seriously considering one myself now.

Maz.

#16 Sunday 9th September 2012 15:21:32

Mentor
Verified Member

I use the roadhawk dc1 located behind the rear view mirror and on all the time. It will hold 48 hours of highest quality video and audio in 2 minute clips. I have reported 2 drivers to their employers for dangerous driving since fitting the device in January. Both employers were appreciative of the evidence and the culprits were disciplined as a result. However that is not the primary use of the device. In the event of a non fault accident involving my learner I will have evidence of our speed, direction and level of impact, all recorded by the device.
Another use of course is to record all the conversation in the car. This would give some protection against any malicious accusations made by any disgruntled customer. Personally, I think these are a must have accessory on the training car nowadays. Incidently, I have forgotten to remove it for 2 tests and so they must have been recorded.  big_smile

#17 Sunday 9th September 2012 16:31:22

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Interesting thread,

Do you need to get the pupil to sign anything to say they are happy that recordings are being made during their lesson?

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

#18 Sunday 9th September 2012 16:49:19

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Mentor wrote:

I use the roadhawk dc1 located behind the rear view mirror and on all the time. It will hold 48 hours of highest quality video and audio in 2 minute clips. I have reported 2 drivers to their employers for dangerous driving since fitting the device in January. Both employers were appreciative of the evidence and the culprits were disciplined as a result. However that is not the primary use of the device. In the event of a non fault accident involving my learner I will have evidence of our speed, direction and level of impact, all recorded by the device.
Another use of course is to record all the conversation in the car. This would give some protection against any malicious accusations made by any disgruntled customer. Personally, I think these are a must have accessory on the training car nowadays. Incidently, I have forgotten to remove it for 2 tests and so they must have been recorded.  big_smile

i think this system is one of the better ones.

Last edited by hoylake (Sunday 9th September 2012 16:49:45)

#19 Sunday 9th September 2012 17:05:18

Roadmaster
Verified Member

m6northtoheaven wrote:

Interesting thread,

Do you need to get the pupil to sign anything to say they are happy that recordings are being made during their lesson?

M6

I don't because the camera is not recording the pupil or voice, it only captures the view out of the rear window. Mine are all aware of it though, and why it's there.

#20 Monday 10th September 2012 16:39:02

royster
Verified Member
Website

m6northtoheaven wrote:

Interesting thread,

M6

I used to record lessons all the time, but i was told to record a Minor (17yr olds) I had to have their parents permission first. Too much agro for me, so stopped.

I did once record a test by accident (forgot to turn if off)
the lad failed for not checking to left after a TIR, but the video clearly showed him checking fully. Nothing i could do, so deleted it. sad

Royster

#21 Monday 10th September 2012 16:53:20

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

royster wrote:

I did once record a test by accident (forgot to turn if off)
the lad failed for not checking to left after a TIR, but the video clearly showed him checking fully. Nothing i could do, so deleted it. sad

Royster

Probably the real reason they don't want tests being recorded.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#22 Thursday 13th September 2012 21:40:57

Dalek Sec
Verified Member

So can you record a check test?

#23 Friday 14th September 2012 05:38:00

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Dalek Sec wrote:

So can you record a check test?

If you have your pupil's permission and the camera does not capture the examiner at any time then there is no reason why not.  It would need to be turned off at the end of the lesson before the examiner starts the debrief.

#24 Friday 14th September 2012 08:19:13

MGM
Verified Member

Triker wrote:

You don't need permission to record video or take photos in a  public place. For example most busses record passengers

True of public places, but a bus is not a public place, and neither is your car.

To board a bus you need to pay a fare, and you do so under the bus company's Ts and Cs, which no doubt tell you you may be filmed.

#25 Friday 14th September 2012 09:56:42

Roadmaster
Verified Member

You need your pupil's permission to film them, although I know none of mine would object.

Board footer