You are not logged in.

Professional online theory test software for independent driving instructors  photo Banner-Animation2-1.gif RDAC

#26 12-01-07 15:03:38

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Re: 1st pupil on test ADVICE INCLUDED

Any news on the result yet?

Ambition Driving College

12-01-07 15:03:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 12-01-07 22:23:22

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

Yep she failed :x

Had 1 serious for being hesitant on a green traffic light due to messing up a gear change & the oncoming traffic began turning right, in front of her. Seems a bit harsh but his word is final!

On the plus side, apart from the serious she only had 2 driver faults, which I'm quite pleased about as after failing 1st attempt at part 3, I couldn't help having a doubt whether I could actually do this!

Timed arrival at TC perfectly & the examiner was friendly. Think he expected me to be the pup on test as I'm only 22 (with a bit of a baby face!). He looked surprised when it clicked that I wasn't!!

Asked my pupil before test that if she wanted me to listen in on the debrief for her to open her door when they got back to TC, which she did & I just peeped around the corner trying to spot her, without putting her off the bay park. I'm glad I got to hear the debrief as her version of what happened was very different to what the examiner said.

Test re booked for Feb - any tips for hesitant pupils on traffic lights?!

P.S got another pupil on test tomorrow morning who seems to have lost the plot in todays lesson. I s this normal?

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...1. 4/3, so close but not close enough
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#28 12-01-07 22:31:35

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Always expect a red one to turn green and vice versa!

Preparation helps, don't know what you teach, but if you're in the first 3 or so in the queue, get them to choose first before stopping. Then if there's a chance they could change - bite immediately, or look for other traffic lights (if you can see them, and bearing in mind the pedestrian who's waiting after pressing the button - you don't want to burn your clutch out) to change and start predicting.

I tell them you can relax when you are ready, don't just relax because you've stopped - this often helps.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#29 12-01-07 22:34:57

Evan

P.S got another pupil on test tomorrow morning who seems to have lost the plot in todays lesson. I s this normal?

I don't know about normal, but it is very common. Be glad that the pupil has lost the plot today, and not tomorrow. Ev

#30 12-01-07 22:41:50

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

I know, just hope she pulls herself together for tomorrow?

This is an odd feeling, I almost want to just go & do the test for them (I know you can't)

Wonder how she'll get on....let you know tomorrow

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...1. 4/3, so close but not close enough
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#31 17-01-07 09:55:22

Runnyuk
Verified Member

Something that hasn't been mentioned that I always do...Make sure I have car/pupil in sight till they get in the car and shut the doors. I do this incase there are any problems with the show me/tell me....Been doing this for 2 yrs now, and been "needed" twice. Once was for a pupil who had a total blank when asked to lift the bonnet (hadn't opened it from inside the car) and second time was when examiner found a nail in a tyre  neutral 

So Im always within sight so I can be at the car if needed and the pupil isn't left to run back up and try and find me. Always amazes me when some instructors have walked off down the road before their pupil has even done the eye test, but I suppose we all do our own thing.

Like I said as soon as they open the car doors to get in then I make sure i am out of sight so I don't put them off.

Runny

#32 17-01-07 12:05:14

pj
Verified Member

I do that too Runnyuk, ashamed to say I forgot to put the Headboard once (it was in the boot ) god did give the DE's a good laugh that day :oops: lol I also like to watch them move away.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#33 08-09-07 20:17:19

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

When ever I have changed areas or may be going to a strange test centre, where possible have introduced my self to a friendly looking DE and have asked if there is any thing that I should know about the test centre or test routes that are out of the ordinary. Generally had good reply's but also have a thick skin as this approach takes them by surprise.

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

#34 07-12-08 17:11:43

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

In the hours lesson before test, do not let the pupil use half this time going over show me/tell me questions for the umpteenth
time. Get them driving!

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#35 12-11-09 20:53:05

destiny hope

Hi all. Ive got my first test tomorrow after 4 weeks on pink  yikes thanks for all the advice Des :angel:

:0) passed part 2 22.06.09

#36 04-03-10 13:10:38

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

I never get pupils to practice maneuvers on the day of the test (except an emergency stop or two if the road conditions are different to the last lesson's), by that time, they either know it or not. Any advantage you may get with some pupils is cancelled out by the ones who get something wrong and, when you run out of time to get a good one done before the test, they go into the test centre worrying about their maneuvers.

I always aim to be in the area of the test centre 20 minutes before the test, parked-up 10 minutes before and inside 5 minutes before.

As far as lesson cost is concerned (as I don't think anyone has replied to that part of your question), charge them the normal cost for a 2 hour lesson. After all, you are with them for 2 hours. If you feel happier, you can always describe the 2nd hour as car hire.

I have a little checklist I mentally run through and recite to them on the way into the test center:

Above all, play safe. You can hesitate and still pass, but if you make someone slow or change direction you may well fail.

Having said that, if it's safe to go, then go. Don't look at a gap and decide that you'll take a bigger one in a minute if the first one is OK.

If you're meeting traffic with parked cars around, if it's your gap, check your mirrors and look to keep going. If it's their gap, or a 50/50 situation, check your mirrors and let them them have the gap. If they let you go, that's up to them, but don't expect them to back-off, after all, they've passed their test and don't need to show an examiner that they know what to do. [I then run through the things that give them priority etc]

If you're maneuvering, control can be tidied up, observation can't. Don't forget your blind spots. If you're not sure, stop and check everything is OK, if you're happy, check your blind spots and carry on. If you're not, correct forward. Don't forget you're not allowed to go back to the start point unless you're forced to by other traffic. If it's good enough, leave it, they're not looking for perfection. If you're not happy with it, correct regardless of how many times you need to, at least that way you're going to end up in what you know is a passing position.

If you don't understand what they want you to do, ask, but make sure you leave them time to reply.

If you go the wrong way, it doesn't matter. Go where you're signalling if you signal wrongly. If you put it in the wrong lane, signal if you need to and go where the lane goes. Don't try and get yourself into the correct lane at the last second.

The examiner will have pen to paper no matter what you're doing. Even a clean sheet has half a dozen ticks or so on it, so don't assume they're marking against you. Even if they are marking against you, it's for something that's already happened, so wondering about it will only distract you. Very often, they're marking something that happened 10 minutes ago, but now is the first chance they've had to look at the sheet for a few seconds.

Above all, remember that they are not out to fail you. They don't have quotas, so if you drive well, they WILL pass you. They're not looking for perfection, just safe and consistent driving.

That sounds like a lot, but it normally takes less than a minute.

In the test centre, I normally try to have a joke with any other instructors and if possible, include the pupil in a bit of banter.

As they go out, I never say good luck (after all, luck shouldn't be a factor), I say "relax and remember the basics".

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

#37 19-01-12 07:57:09

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Why should an ADI always drive the car home after an L-test? Is this an insurance issue?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#38 19-01-12 08:09:31

Busheyfields
Verified Member
Website

Andrew lefthandseat wrote:

Why should an ADI always drive the car home after an L-test? Is this an insurance issue?

If they pass they will want to text/phone family & friends, if they fail they will be down in the dumps and not in the correct frame of mind to drive safely.

#39 19-01-12 08:12:14

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Not necessarily.

But pass or fail their mind will be racing and they may not concentrate fully. They have just been through a stressful situation. It is safer if I drive and they have a bit of a relax.

it also gives me time to talk about driving alone and a zillion other things knowing that they can listen properly without having to think about the driving.

#40 19-01-12 11:14:21

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I agree with Kaf & Bushy, er, fields (interesting username!).
Even after I drop them off home, I advise them against driving immediately as will take some time before they lower themselves down from cloud 9.

llthomas21 wrote:

Feeling bit nervous now!!! big_smile

That's normal.
My old boss once said he loved tests but he had a strange personality (ex Vietnam vet, edgy & sometimes aggressive).
Me, after 16 years in the game I still feel nervous unless the candidate is exceptionally calm & skilful.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#41 19-01-12 12:22:09

MGM
Verified Member

I agree with the reasons above, but there may also be an insurance issue. If they drive after passing it's SD & P rather than tuition, and that may not be covered, or may be restricted to over-25s. Best check your policy.

#42 31-01-12 17:14:04

rargq2008

At the TC have all docs ready, fill in change of address before DE comes in.

#43 26-01-13 22:19:01

BB Driving School
Website

No tips in the test centre, just talk about other things put then at ease.

#44 27-01-13 00:13:11

MAZ
Verified Member

One might question the motives of a driving school that trawls the forum archives and bumps up old threads, particularly those in the Learners categories, then replies with one line posts.
More cynical members than I, might think that it is done to improve the schools Google rankings, not a thought I would subscribe to personally of course.

Maz.

#45 20-04-13 19:12:39

bradders
Verified Member

Personally I never give a formal lesson before the test, the pupil should be competent before the day of their test.  It is a recommendation after driving for two hours you take a break.  So if your pupil is nervous a twenty minute drive to the test centre and a ten minute break is sufficient in my view.  I used to be an examiner many years ago, and my interest in this is because many pupils used to fade out after half an hour of test time.  Most of the mistakes were made in the latter part of the test.  When I returned to teaching I started to experiment with my pupils.  I gave them the option of half an hour before their test and then ten minutes to relax at the test centre, prior to their test or a full lesson.  Without fail the pupils who had just had a relaxed drive to the centre were the more successful ones, so I have adopted this for all pupils.  It is also cheaper for them as it costs them one and a half hours only.

I am interested to read what others do, but I really think two hours is far too much in such stressful conditions.

Hypnotherapist, Artist, Picture Framer, GDB (general dogs body) and ADI - 2002

'We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are'. Anais Nin

#46 20-04-13 20:18:33

Mentor
Verified Member

bradders wrote:

Personally I never give a formal lesson before the test, the pupil should be competent before the day of their test.  It is a recommendation after driving for two hours you take a break.  So if your pupil is nervous a twenty minute drive to the test centre and a ten minute break is sufficient in my view.  I used to be an examiner many years ago, and my interest in this is because many pupils used to fade out after half an hour of test time.  Most of the mistakes were made in the latter part of the test.  When I returned to teaching I started to experiment with my pupils.  I gave them the option of half an hour before their test and then ten minutes to relax at the test centre, prior to their test or a full lesson.  Without fail the pupils who had just had a relaxed drive to the centre were the more successful ones, so I have adopted this for all pupils.  It is also cheaper for them as it costs them one and a half hours only.

I am interested to read what others do, but I really think two hours is far too much in such stressful conditions.

I agree, only a light lesson before the test around the test area to ensure no changes to road layouts etc. With pupils who are prone to fading out I drive them to the test centre and they go out cold so to speak. I have found this to be a good strategy and most pass. I do the same with intensive courses, if they haven't grasped it by test day no amount of pre-test instruction is going to make any difference.

#47 20-04-13 22:30:46

bradders
Verified Member

Wessex wrote:

Therefore, in some cases is it safe to say that with the stress of the pre test
one hour drive that the pupil is already fatigued and that to have to concentrate
flat out for a further 40 minutes renders some candidates affected by this and of course nerves.
How many of us have had the serious mistake marked within 200-400 metres from the test centre?
Therefore, is there a case to suggest that those travelling 15 miles to a test centre have the
ADI drive to the area allowing the pupil to do the manoeuvres and then drive to the test centre
fresh and ready for the test?

I agree with you, and have first hand evidence of candidates failing within sight of the test centre, as an examiner.  Yes.  It is not the case for all candidates of course, some will be able to cope with two hours, including test.  However, it is a risk that the candidates will fade.  I like them to be fresh and have also driven them to the test centre and then let them drive as fresh as possible on their test, with good results.

Last edited by bradders (20-04-13 22:31:59)

Hypnotherapist, Artist, Picture Framer, GDB (general dogs body) and ADI - 2002

'We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are'. Anais Nin

#48 06-06-13 23:28:35

Infodriver
Website

Still remember my first driving lesson with my first pupil, was freaking out from day before. It was like going to a new school when you were kid, you just did not want to go!. But I just put on a brave face and made it look like I was doing this for while, and the rest is history.

cool
Driving skills are not just for passing practical test, but for life!!
Driving School East Ham

#49 07-06-13 05:26:49

MGM
Verified Member

Infodriver wrote:

Still remember my first driving lesson with my first pupil, was freaking out from day before. It was like going to a new school when you were kid, you just did not want to go!. But I just put on a brave face and made it look like I was doing this for while, and the rest is history.

See post #44 above.

#50 25-01-15 16:41:52

Angus
Verified Member
Website

I would just try to basically do a warm up and as previously mentioned try to remind them of any habits or weaknesses you feel they may have.

Board footer