You are not logged in.

Professional online theory test software for independent driving instructors  photo Banner-Animation2-1.gif RDAC

#1 10-01-07 10:33:51

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

1st pupil on test ADVICE INCLUDED

Got my 1st pupil on test friday & I've got a few questions....

1. Pupil lives just 10 minutes away from test centre so we're having an hour lesson before but how much do I charge as I'm not sure how long the car will be in use for?

2. What should/shouldn't we cover in that hour before test?

3. Any topics best for conversation while waiting at TC or more importantly, anything to avoid?

4. If it goes wrong & they fail, what am I going to say as I'll probably feel just as bad?!

Any other advice? Feeling bit nervous now!!! big_smile

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...1. 4/3, so close but not close enough
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

10-01-07 10:33:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: 1st pupil on test ADVICE INCLUDED

#2 10-01-07 11:45:00

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Best of luck for Friday... I've got my first at the end of the month so will be reading this thread with interest...

Ambition Driving College

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 10-01-07 12:25:41

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

2 hour session - an hour's driving - don't make this too hard, ask questions that raise awareness, but make sure you cover areas of weakness that you are aware of. Ask them which manoeuvre they want to cover. As they are close to the test centre, you'll probably have time to do a couple.

Stop driving a good ten minutes before the test, so they get a chance to get a breather from actual driving before they go out - use this time for show and tell. Encourage positivity throughout, and give praise for all the good stuff they do. Remind them that even if they have a personality clash with the examiner, they'll mark professionally and that all they have to do is drive like they do with you. As you are driving before hand, check that they are not changing their driving 'because it's test day', this happens often, due to what dad/bro/friend/the lady in sainsburys said yesterday!

Try to limit time in the TC as much as possible, 2 minutes with a couple of jokes about the boring posters and the blue chairs that are in nearly every test centre usually help. Make sure they have time for the toilet if they need it. When they go out I don't say good luck, this is a personal thing, I usually say something like 'enjoy yourself', they'll give you a look like you're mad, but I think it helps.

If they are really nervous - aknowledge that, but reassure them that they can take the first couple of minutes carefully, and once they have done that their nerves will drop and they'll realise they're just doing stuff that they've been doing for the last couple of months, and there's nothing they're not prepared for.

Once they're out, if you're not sitting in, get a coffee and relax - you know you've done your best.

Once they get back, wait by the passenger door and if it's a fail the examiner will usually open the door for you to listen in to the de-brief. Mistakes happen, learn as much as you can from it, and keep positive. Be sympathetic, and remember what part 2 was like, and think about what you could say to help - with an emphasis on getting back out and just polishing off the rough edges which caused the problem. If you aren't invited in, this is usually because they are getting the 'drive on' mag out - they've passed!

Always drive them home - pass or fail. Discuss their next step, polishing or pass plus. Aknowledge problems, but keep positive whatever happens, this positivity should be infectious and will help whatever happens.

#4 10-01-07 13:16:20

john55
Verified Member

keep the session before the test lighthearted. crack a few jokes and try and get them to relax. remind them how well they've been doing on their lessons. remind them that all that is required is 30 mins of safe steady driving and they'll have a license for life. tell them not to dwell on any mistakes they think they've made. the EX might not see it as a mistake or he might not have noticed it even if it was a mistake!

if the worst does happen be sympathetic and be positive. all that's happened is that they've failed a driving test. they might be on a downer for a few days but, they'll get over it. arrange some lessons as soon as to work on what needs to be done for the next test.

remember this is your first test as well. you'll probably be nervous too. if your pupil passes, great. if not don't be too hard on yourself. you have no control over them during the test.

good luck to both of you. 
  smile

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#5 10-01-07 13:41:37

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

Thanks both for some good advice.

I know you have no control over them once their on test, but what does the examiner think if they fail miserably?

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#6 10-01-07 15:44:32

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

The examiner can tell the difference between a candidate who knows what to do, but couldn't put it all into place on the day due to nerves or whatever, and a candidate who shouldn't have been presented. Don't worry. If it is terrible, they may have a quick word with you about what happened - but this is rare.

#7 10-01-07 16:17:19

luchell

At my Test center i got told off for going to the passenger door  lol I go to the drivers door wave and say 'can i come in'
You can often tell what the result is, if licence is being exchanged pass, look at pupils face, i look over at the marking sheet if i get there too early DONT just open the door the DE MUST ask ask the pupil if they are happy to have their instructor present due to the confidentiality act 1988  they will ALWAYS ask or they bloomin well should if its a failure, if its a pass our lot will often let us open the door as i am waving saying can i come innnnnnnnnnn  cos its a pass they will let you in and you can share the same time news at the same time with the pupil. They cannot with a fail obviously its upsetting for the pup and they must be asked. Don't go out to your car UNTIL its parked up and the lights are off or you will put them off i have been told rather sternly lol to go the drivers door and wait to be called to the briefing (with the examiners i really like they fling their door open ready for me  lol)

Don't get in the way of other test coming back into the car park, don't get in TOO early remember the last tests have to come back in, make sure you are back inside before pupils come back so theres no one stood outside the centre to put them off the bay park if this applies to your area.

I am going to put this thread as a sticky because i don't think any pdis or new adis are actually taught " Test centre etiquette" if that makes sense and its important to get it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will add to your title on this thread and sticky it so people can get help from it i am sure you will all agree its a daunting experience the first time at the test centre and you want to get it right!  smile

#8 10-01-07 16:23:10

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Valid point about the driver's door Luchell, I'm wondering if that is something to do with your TC having a car park? Our place is all park on the road, so advice would be, put yourself in a safe place where the examiner can see you waiting for a de-brief if necessary. (They wouldn't appreciate me stood in the road getting in the way of the buses, never mind the other tests coming back in!)

#9 10-01-07 16:24:01

luchell

All done  lol I also make a point of saying AFTERNOON  lol To the examiners i try to lighten the mood in the waiting room when i walk in its like a dentist waiting room!! so i crack a few jokes and its catching always great the Des say good luck as thy go.

The lesson before i tell my lot right if you got any mistakes you want to shove out of the way now off we go  lol Because they will not forget for later i am sure i will think of other things but for now i will leave it at this. I hope this will be a useful thread, the others have given top advice as usual  smile smile

#10 10-01-07 16:26:07

luchell

Tim its only our more stern De that said to me in a rather stroppy way lol i can't see you waiting there! and your pupil needs you thats why i make it a habit to go to the drivers door but no one taught me any of this i had to learn from making mistakes and looking a bit of a plonk as my fav mr grump tells me off i love him really because i think we have a good understanding now, it takes time to get known there. NEVER inconvenience another test.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 10-01-07 17:54:39

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Don't go out to your car UNTIL its parked up and the lights are off or you will put them off i have been told rather sternly lol to go the drivers door and wait to be called to the briefing (with the examiners i really like they fling their door open ready for me  lol)

Don't get in the way of other test coming back into the car park, don't get in TOO early remember the last tests have to come back in, make sure you are back inside before pupils come back so theres no one stood outside the centre to put them off the bay park if this applies to your area.

Sorry, not quite understanding this...

the TC I'll be using is set away from the public car park the tests start/finish from. I guess you mean I have to be 'around' the car park but not staring at returning cars?

Also as they all bay park into places next to each other - if mine's back first & they're obviously talking when do I go over? As you say I don't want to get in the way of anyone trying to use the bay next door...

Don't suppose anyone else has a test Feb 1st in Wallington to hold my hand?!

Ambition Driving College

#12 10-01-07 17:57:10

luchell

Ah I see ours has the car park outside i can peek out the waiting room window and see mine coming inthen i hide!!, just keep yourself out of site to your pupil that will do the job, i have always remembered this sadly from my first test as a pdi i had no info before hand my pupil said i saw you come out whilst i was trying to do my bay park it put me off  :cry: NEVER AGAIN so this is why i want you guys to have the benefit of what us lot have been through  smile

#13 10-01-07 17:58:51

luchell

Stay well back from another learner trying to bay park after their test, its only happened once to me in nearly two years where i missed half the debrief as i had to wait the other side of the car park for another learner to bay park its only fair on them i would NEVER get in the way.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 10-01-07 18:03:24

pj
Verified Member

Luchell wrote:

Don't go out to your car UNTIL its parked up and the lights are off or you will put them off i have been told rather sternly lol to go the drivers door and wait to be called to the briefing (with the examiners i really like they fling their door open ready for me  lol)

Sorry, not quite understanding this...

the TC I'll be using is set away from the public car park the tests start/finish from. I guess you mean I have to be 'around' the car park but not staring at returning cars?

Also as they all bay park into places next to each other - if mine's back first & they're obviously talking when do I go over? As you say I don't want to get in the way of anyone trying to use the bay next door...

Don't suppose anyone else has a test Feb 1st in Wallington to hold my hand?!

You have got the bushes to hide in at Wallington, if I'm around I might pop in , what time is the test ;D

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#15 10-01-07 19:31:17

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Get to the TC area in plenty of time - you don't want to held up by traffic jams!  Ours has a rule that we can't go into the TC car park more than 10 mins before the test is due to start so we circle around for 5 playing with roundabouts and watching the others do the same!  You may feel nervous too, don't let it show - stay calm and chat to them whilst they are waiting for their examiner to come out - I tell mine to "Have a good drive" and then go for a cup of tea!

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#16 10-01-07 19:33:42

luchell

Ours used to be ten mins now its changed to five so you gota be careful, we just park up on the road right next to the centre pop  the bonnet if they want to double check anything TRY and relax have a ciggie if they are a smoker tis all good LOTS of positive thoughts  smile

#17 10-01-07 21:09:16

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

Noted EVERYTHING thats been said & hopefully should stop me looking like a right plonker.

Feeling just as nervous as my pupil. Will be a learning experience, thats for sure!

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#18 11-01-07 00:29:20

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

If you've got a silly buttony keylock thingie - make sure they know how to use it.

Tell them that yes, the car is insured for the purposes of the test - had one read the declaration and ask me once looking really worried!

Check they have their docs when you collect them.

#19 11-01-07 00:56:48

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Make sure you bring your car tax book and MOT. Had an embarrassing trip home for mine 10mins b4 examiners came out.

#20 11-01-07 01:38:31

luchell

why did you need your mot etc jonny  neutral

I always text pups night before get all document in envelope check at start and make sure they take them ON TEST with them  lol

#21 11-01-07 02:04:37

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

this may sound defeatist? but i find it works i say "its only a driving test! not an A level exam or a degree which will take you a year to do again? but! hey you are well upto and over the standard required? take the start easy - do the simple things, get your mirrors going early, you'll feel "in the groove" and if you do the simple things right? the rest will follow. if the examiner is happy to drive home tonight after work with you coming the other way? you pass! simple! mans SLOW!, progress where you can. if you aint sure be cautious  smile   go show him the skills you've aqquired   smile  and for the instructor do c-ways test centre loop, thats what i do - find a few five minute loops around the tc. if you are early do another show me tell me session - better than waiting room. THEN CROSS EVERYTHING YOU CAN CROSS    smile 
incidently i always approach drivers door (in carpark) and tell them to open door when they see me approach - therefore self invited to debrief. lad yesterday got out anyway and did a little dance in carpark, de had to tell him to get back in car for his debrief and form signing  ;D

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#22 11-01-07 11:17:01

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

why did you need your mot etc jonny  neutral

The examiner needs to check the registration certificate before the test goes out, and I think the MOT is needed if the car needs it, maybe thats another rule over here that you lot dont have.

#23 11-01-07 12:32:48

luchell

oh it must be jonny we dont produce documents here the pupil signs to say they are insured etc etc  smile

#24 11-01-07 12:55:31

SMILE
Verified Member
Website

Make sure you bring your car tax book and MOT. Had an embarrassing trip home for mine 10mins b4 examiners came out.

car tax book...? :-[

www.smiledrivingschool.com
Lessons in and around Northamptonshire

#25 12-01-07 14:12:20

luchell

They have to in N ireland but we don't lol

Board footer